We ended up using computers with google chrome, this is the only browser that worked with TinkerCAD our 3D design program. We then sent these designs to a 3D printer to print. 3D printers are machines that print your designs from the ground up by melting 3D printing plastic.
Our project had some big flaws, these were hard to fix only because they would require a whole new 3D print. Some flaws included thin walls, not enough turning space, and even a time where we forgot to fully attach the keys! They were surprising because we mostly expected it to work. However we soon accomplished our tasks.
In the end, I found it was really fun to have to make these small adjustments. Over time you found how much more of a difference you could make, and how much better each turned out. It was really amazing, coming back to school the next day to find the thing you had on you screen the day before was now in your hands.
However, next time I would probably do some things different. First, I would allow more time. I found that the printer took a while (one print was 28 hours!) and to allow time if you would like to print changes. The next thing would be to print letters on to the locking dial. We are writing them on this time but it would have looked so much more professional.
See below for links to websites explaining how cryptexs work and pictures of my designs and 3D prints!
What is a cryptex?
The word cryptex is a neologism coined by the author Dan Brown for his novel The Da Vinci Code, a portable vault used to hide secret messages.
CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO EXPLAIN!
Final Project: 3D Printed Cryptex
Over the last three classes, Nick and I built a dunk tank using the Hummingbird programming board. We began with the idea of simply using a servo motor. From there, I built the physical representation of the dunk tank and assembled the moving parts as Nick programmed all the necessary functions. It ended with a poster board frame covered in black paper in the outside, with blue paper in the inside. There was a "seat" function and whenever something went near to the distance sensor, the servo rotated 90 degrees down and then returned to its original position. Complete with blue LEDs in the bottom depicting water and a little cardboard person on the seat, it gave the illusion of dumping someone into the water. We then retrieved him from the elevated base and put it back on. Here is a video of it in action!
We have been learning how to make 3D printed objects. Our challenge was to make a iPad stand with the least amount of plastic and the most stability. I decided to start with basic shapes.
First, I made a small wedge and changed the angle to something I found to be optimal for reading and typing. Next, I added a small rectangle to the base, preventing the iPad from slipping down. Finally I removed a section of plastic with a hole from the back. After grouping, I resized the whole object (while keeping it proportionate) to make it the sizes I needed to fit the iPad. Even though my design was not picked, I still find it to be efficient. Here is a picture of my final design.
After our first class and introduction, we were given time to think about possible projects. This year, the Creators Studio lab has three new 3D printers, a green screen, a laser cutter and a new classroom. In the introduction we learned what each of these things did and were encouraged to use them in our projects. I was interested in using the 3D printer for my project this year.